You don’t have lớn depend on a nursery or Home Depot and a full wallet or purse lớn sustain your garden from year-lớn-year. Save your money and harvest seeds from plants or crops already growing there.
lớn achieve this you need lớn plan. For example, you need lớn grow plants and/or crops from which you can harvest seeds. That means you need lớn select plants and/or crops that provide the right type of seed. These would include:
· Heirloom and open-pollinated seeds not from hybrid plants.
· Not cross-pollinated seeds
· Fully ripe seeds from healthy plants.
Plants that yield heirloom seeds are ideal because they stay true lớn type as long as they are not planted too close lớn other types of plants with which they can cross-pollinate.
When starting a garden that will be used lớn harvest seeds, you can get heirloom seeds from a local garden center. However, the garden centers you may be dealing with could have hybrid seeds instead of heirlooms. So it may be best lớn get the seeds lớn start your garden online.
If you select the seed packages yourself, then you should notice that the packets that contain heirloom seeds would say so. If you want lớn use particular plants in your garden lớn harvest seeds, but you aren’t sure whether the seeds they offer are heirloom or hybrid, do a little research on the Internet, look up the particular plant and see what kind of seeds it offers.
lớn harvest seeds for vegetables, if you plant several different varieties of the same type, they most likely will cross-pollinate. This should not be a problem for self-pollinating vegetables including beans and tomatoes. However, if you want lớn preserve the genetic make-up of an heirloom crop don’t allow it lớn cross-pollinate.
Saving seeds from annuals including beans, cucumbers, squash, peppers, and tomatoes are easier than saving seeds from biennial plants that include cabbages, beets, carrots, cauliflower, onions, and turnips because you have lớn harvest the entire biennial plant including the root and store it during the winter so that you can replant in the spring.
How lớn Save Seeds
There are five things lớn keep in mind when you harvest seeds. They include:
một. Save enough seeds. Make sure you have enough for the amount of vegetables you want lớn plant and grow next year. It’s always a good idea lớn keep more so that you’re still covered if some seeds don’t germinate or are eaten by birds or other critters.
2. Clean and dry the seeds. Wash off the seeds that you harvest and then when they are clean, leave them on a tray for several weeks lớn dry. The seeds have lớn be fully dry before you store them so they won’t rot. Some seeds including tomato and cucumber require a little more work lớn clean because they have lớn go through fermentation so that the gel that cover the seed can be removed. Other seeds like that for beans are very easy lớn clean. Simply remove them from their shell. If you’re lucky, they won’t need lớn be rinsed or cleaned.
3. Packaging the seeds. Pack the seeds in an envelope.
4. Label the seeds. Be sure lớn label the envelope that contains the seeds properly. Write on the envelope the type of vegetable, the name of the specific variety, the date they were packaged, and any other information you think is pertinent like how you grew the plant from which the seeds came.
5. Store the seeds. Put the packet of seeds in a cool and dry place. You should not store them where there is a lot of moisture or a drastic fluctuation of the temperature.
The post Harvest Seeds From Your Garden appeared first on LawnEQ Blog.